Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let Them Create

I asked my students to create a public service announcement for math class. They had the choice of doing an audio or video file. Much to my surprise all of them chose to do a video. I was a bit nervous about having students create videos in a math class. I was concerned that their videos would be entertaining but wouldn't have a lot of mathematical content. I set some guidelines for them and much to my amazement they are using the math in their videos. In fact many of them are doing more calculations and including more math than I had expected.

My students are just loving the project. It's such a departure from what they're use to. It nice to see them coming to class eager to do math and work on their videos. I'm definitely a convert and will have to do more projects like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment