Tuesday, April 13, 2010

TEDxOntario Ed

I had the opportunity last week to view TEDxOntarioEd. For those of you not familiar with TED talks the idea is that speakers who are passionate about a subject will give a talk based on the theme 'ideas worth spreading'. TEDxOntarioEd was focused on education and how we can make changes for the better.

As I watched the presentations I kept thinking about what a great idea this was. Here I was sitting at home watching some top notch speakers share their ideas about improving education. I truly was in awe. I couldn't help but wonder why every teacher in the province wasn't watching. The event was extremely well organized, full of great ideas, entertaining and downright fun.

For me one of the best parts of the night was the back channel. There were so many great comments posted on Twitter to @TEDxOntarioEd that I felt there really was a sense of community among the participants. Although I was at home it felt as if I was surrounded by other educators. The only thing I would change for next time would be to create a satellite location so that the experience could be shared with others in person as well as on Twitter. Hopefully a satellite location would also allow teachers who wouldn't normally be a part of an event like this to participate.

I would like to thank all of the organizers for their time and effort. Great job. I look forward to the next one!

4 comments:

  1. Have you read about the satellite experience? Some of the posts here talk about it. http://delicious.com/thecleversheep/tedxontarioed

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is great when we can collaborate with other teachers. I've found some really great teacher blogs lately that are ideas from teachers, or administrators that are quite helpful. This sounds like it was a good program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying learning and collaborating with other teachers around the world. It's really added some excitiment to teaching again. I feel like I have that re-energized feeling you get from going to a conference all of the time. I love it.

    ReplyDelete